Friday, September 14, 2012

ISAIAH 9:6


THE PROPHECY
Ever since I can remember, this verse has puzzled me. It reads like this:
Isa 9:6 For to us a Child is born, to us a Son is given; and the government shall be on His shoulder; and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

THE QUESTION
This verse is obviously prophetic of the coming Messiah, Jesus, but I have a number of issues with it. The most obvious is that Jesus is the way to the Father (John 14:6), therefore how can He be called the Father? I also felt uncomfortable with Him being called mighty God, because that is one of the titles/names given to the Father.
I know that the Godhead is made up of Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and these three are one (1John 5:7), but I know all three. I love and adore my Father with whom I have an intimate relationship. I worship, love and honour Jesus who is my Saviour and Lord, the One who brought me out of darkness and gave me life. I relish and love the Holy Spirit who guides me and makes known to me the things of God. So how does it fit to call Jesus the everlasting father?

THE VERSE REVEALED
We know that very often things are lost in translation, so I did some investigating. This is what I have found.
For to us a Child is born
This is pretty straight forward. A Child, conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of a virgin. The Word of God was made flesh (John 1:14), and was born. Luke was a medical practioner or a physician in his day (Col 4:14) and it is written in his gospel that Jesus was born of a virgin (Luk 1:26-35). Even though Luke was not around during the time Jesus was, he obviously had no doubt about the miraculous conception.
to us a Son is given
Firstborn Son of God, our Saviour Jesus Christ. Born to save mankind from their sin and reconcile us to God so that we might also be sons of God (John 1:12).
and the government shall be on His shoulder
Literally, the government will be set against Him and upon His back as a heavy burden.
and His name shall be called Wonderful
His name. In the Hebrew (Old Testament) and Greek (New Testament) languages a name is also a description of the very nature or character of the person. His name is not only the title He has, but is also who and what He is to us. The "shall be" indicates that He grows into this name.
Counselor
As One who grows to be a counselor He is One who gives wise counsel, even from the age of 12 (Luke 2:42-47).
The mighty God
This is another interesting passage. God (the Father) is the Almighty God (Gen 17:1) and Jesus is seen as mighty God. The difference recognises that the Son is not the Father.
The everlasting Father
This piece of the verse caused me most concern. How could the Son, who is the Way to the Father (John 14:6), also be the Father? When I found the answer to this is was like lights going on. Jesus is the everlasting Father of the Christian faith in the same way that Abraham was the Father of many Nations (Gen 17:5). He is NOT Father God.
The Prince of Peace
He is the Prince, head person (of any rank or class): - captain (that had rule), chief (captain), general, governor, keeper, lord, ([-task-]) master, prince (-ipal), ruler, steward (Strongs Dictionary H8323)
of Peace, From H7999; safe, that is, (figuratively) well, happy, friendly; also (abstractly) welfare, that is, health, prosperity, peace: - X do, familiar, X fare, favour, + friend, X greet, (good) health, (X perfect, such as be at) peace (-able, -ably), prosper (-ity, -ous), rest, safe (-ly), salute, welfare, (X all is, be) well, X wholly.

SEEN JESUS, SEEN THE FATHER?
It is also interesting to note the statement Jesus made in Joh 14:9 Jesus said to him, Have I been with you such a long time and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father. And how do you say, Show us the Father?
The word 'seen' in this instance means to discern or perceive, rather than physically see. In other words, if they had perceived Jesus for who He was/is they would have also had an understanding or perception of the Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment