Friday, September 14, 2012

THE REVELATION


I was sitting in church one Sunday morning, probably 20 or so years ago, when the pastor invited those in need of prayer to come to the front. I saw an elderly lady go forward for prayer and two elders layed hands on her and started to pray. An amazing thing happened at that point. It was like God somehow opened my eyes to the supernatural and I could see what was happening in the spiritual.
As I looked in amazement God said to me "This woman's needs are not being met." I felt compassion flow through me for the woman and cried out "Why Lord?" He said to me "Because there is a deception in the church that is very subtle, but is robbing the church of its power." I cried out "Lord, what can this deception be?" He replied "They have called the Bible the word of God, but that name has been given to the One who is from the beginning."
I felt excited about what the Lord had shown me and couldn't wait to go home and search the Scriptures.
I should point out at this stage that when God mentioned the church, He was talking about the church as a whole. I am very aware of the fact that many, or even most, big time evangelists call the Bible the word of God and have very successful ministries. God's grace and purpose will always be there for mankind, but often times He "winks", that is to say that He will overlook things in order to achieve a purpose, but there is a better way.

SEARCHING THE SCRIPTURES
As I started reading through Scripture it was obvious that Jesus was and is The Word of God. I am sure no-one would disagree with this. It is interesting to note that He is THE Word of God. The word THE is singular, meaning there is only one.
My study took me into Greek and Hebrew lexicons and dictionaries and many times I had to go back to the Lord and ask Him to shed light on things that I did not understand. He always came through with answers that made sense, as you would expect.

LOGOS OR RHEMA?
When I was at Bible College I was taught that the logos was the written word and rhema the quickened word. In John chapter 1 where the Bible so plainly describes Jesus as being The Word of God the Greek word for 'word' is logos.
My studies showed me that in the New Testament that Jesus is The Word (logos) of God. Rhema on the other hand is a revealed or quickened word or message. There is not an instance in all Scripture where the Bible is called The Word (or word) of God.

BIG W OR LITTLE W?
Many people have told me that the word (small w) of God is the Bible and The Word of God is Jesus. When I asked God about this His reply was to forget about the W/w concept and that He would teach me.

JESUS - THE WORD OF GOD
There are many instance in the Bible where The Word of God or The Word of The Lord is mentioned. A couple that spring to mind immediately are:
Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:2 He was in the beginning with God.
Joh 1:14 And the Word became flesh (Jesus), and tabernacled among us. And we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and of truth.
Rev 19:13 And He had been clothed in a garment dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.
Heb 4:12 For the Word of God is living and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing apart of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Heb 4:13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in His sight, but all things are naked and opened to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.
The Word of God is the name, identity, title and honour given to Jesus alone. This is who He is. As The Word of God He is the promise of God and the fulfillment of that promise. Because Jesus always was, and always will be The Word of God, the very reputation of God was dependant on Jesus fulfilling the promise of salvation. To call anything else The Word (or word) of God takes this away from Him.
If the Bible is the W/word of God, then God is four, not three. Father, Son (who is the Word Jn 1:14), the Holy Spirit and the W/word (Bible)? I don't think so!! Scripture tells us 1Jo 5:7 For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one. 


THE BIBLE - THE WORDS OF GOD
There is no justification for calling the Bible the word of God in the Bible. People have said to me that:
2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousnessand is therefore the word of God.
The Bible says differently:
Joh 3:34 For He whom God has sent speaks the Words of God, for God does not give the Spirit by measure.
Rev 17:17 For God gave into their hearts to do His mind, and to act with one mind, and to give their kingdom to the beast until the Words of God will be fulfilled.
Rev 22:9 Then he said to me, Behold! See, do not do it! For I am your fellow-servant, and of your brothers the prophets, and of those who keep the Words of this Book. Do worship to God.
Joh 17:8 For I have given to them the Words which You gave Me, and they have received them and have known surely that I came out from You. And they have believed that You sent Me.
Below is a Scripture that is a bit different. Rhema is used for "My Words" which indicates fresh revelation such as you would expect from a living relationship with Jesus. If you hear what He is saying to you and are led and motivated by Him He will do what you ask of Him.
Joh 15:7 If you abide in Me, and My Words abide in you, you shall ask what you will, and it shall be done to you.

THE DIFFERENCE
According to Scripture, the Bible contains the words (plural) of God. This does not in any way detract from the title of The Word of God that belongs to Jesus.
The trouble is that because we are so used to calling the Bible The W/word of God we automatically think of the Bible when The W/word of God is mentioned. How often have you heard the preacher or evangelist say "Let us open the word of God to.."
This is Scripturally incorrect. Because it is second nature for so many of us to think of the Bible as the W/word of God we often give it the place that Jesus should have. The result is that we become Bible dependant rather than Jesus dependant. We live in accordance with the Scriptures, which is good, but it leads us to depend on the Scriptures rather than the experiential life we should have with Jesus.
Consider the following Scriptures:
Psa 119:105 Your Word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path.
Psalm 119:105 is interpreted by many as the Bible being the lamp. In fact, Jesus is the One who knows the beginning and the end. He is the Lamp unto my feet.
Eze 20:45 And the Word of Jehovah came to me, saying,
Eze 20:46 Son of man, set your face toward the south, and drop a word toward the south, and prophesy against the forest of the south field.
There are numerous instances right throughout the Bible where the Word of God came to various people giving instruction etc. I can assure you it wasn't the Bible that did that!
Heb 4:12 For the Word of God is living and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing apart of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
I have heard many a sermon using this Scripture to justify calling the Bible the "Living Word". The Bible is however, unable to discern and I can assure you that it IS a book, inspired by God, made by man. Surely it is not hard to see this verse is talking about Jesus.
2Sa 22:31 As for God, His way is perfect. The Word of Jehovah is tried. He is a shield to all those who seek refuge in Him.
The Word of Jehovah was tried on the cross. Let's not take that away from Him.
These Scriptures all refer to Jesus as The Word of God. There are many more examples like this.

CONCLUSION
I have heard many good sermons, even excellent sermons, where the speaker has spoken of The Word of God, referring to the Bible. In every instance that I can recall, Jesus would have been glorified and His Name uplifted if the speaker had realised his error.
Try reading the Bible with the mindset that wherever you see The W/word of God mentioned, think "could this possible be referring to Jesus instead of the Bible?" The result will be that the Bible will take on new meaning which will greatly enhance your relationship with the Lord.
I feel that I have not adequately covered this subject, but pray that God will open people's eyes to see His truth so that The Word of God may receive the Honour, Glory and Recognition that belongs to Him alone.
Remember: Every time you call the Bible the W/word of God, you are giving it the honour and place that belongs to Jesus alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment